Here’s what you need to know about traffic at 8 AM on your Friday.
- There are reports of an eight car crash on Interstate 90 east bound in DeForest near the Highway V exit. Avoid this area.
- A very serious accident occurred earlier this morning at US Highway 151 southbound and American Parkway. The right lane is currently closed, and I expect it to remain closed for quite some time as the Wisconsin State Patrol Crash Reconstruction Team investigates the crash. Madison Police say to expect delays for several hours.
- The left lane on Interstate 90 eastbound near Janesville and mile marker 170 is crawling along due to to a crash. You’ll see slowdowns starting near Wisconsin highway 26. The left lane is now closed both east and westbound on the interstate in the area.
- US Highway 151 southbound is reportedly at a dead stop near Hwy 73 due to a multiple vehicle crash. It’s been backed up for some time with no end in sight at this time.
- The westbound Beltline is seeing it’s usual delays. You’ll be slow from Stoughton road through Fish Hatchery road.
- It’s slippery out there. Use caution and leave some extra time during your commute.
Good Friday morning! As you head out on the roads this morning you might noticed a fine mist/drizzle out there. You’ll need your windshield wipers every now and again as you travel. Watch out though, it’s just cold enough where it could start to freeze. I’ll keep you up to date on that.
The Wisconsin DOT would like to remind you that the Merrimac ferry is closed until spring. They say that the ferry that carried more than 305,000 cars this year has been forced to close due to the cold temperatures. You may have already noticed the yellow flashing lights around the Waunakee area on the highways. Well, it’s official, you’ll have to take the long way to get to Merrimac for the winter.
Stay safe out there!
It’s a super-sad day for me, I am totally bummed….I love my job and the people I get to interact with everyday. At the same time, I’m excited for new adventures. I start a new job working near Capitol Square on Monday, Nov 17.
There will be various people filling this role for the next few weeks and traffic issues will still be updated on Twitter @madisontraffic. I have no reason to take my Twitter account with me, so I’m leaving it with my replacement(s).
Hopefully in the next few weeks, a permanent replacement will be hired. Please be patient with this process.
If you have a Twitter account, you should follow @madisontraffic for up-to- the-minute live traffic updates in your feed.
Roads are slippery in spots in this morning, and conditions will deteriorate throughout the morning.
**REMINDER: WB Beltline overnight lane closures will be in place until NOON on Sunday between Monona Dr & Fish Hatchery Rd. This has nothing to do with the marathon, but still pertinent info.
Many roads will be affected by the Madison Marathon on Sunday, November 19.
CLICK HERE for details on Madison Metro detours.
CLICK HERE for information on road closures on UW Campus.
CLICK HERE for the Madison Marathon website.
CLICK HERE for the Madison Marathon Facebook page.
CLICK HERE for story on road closures from Channel3000.com.
I have accepted a job with the State of Wisconsin working downtown near the Capitol Square.
Believe me when I say this was not an easy decision to make. It is what is best for me and my family. While I am excited for new adventures, I am sad and will miss everyone I interact with on a regular basis doing traffic reports, including people I’ve never met on Twitter.
My last day doing traffic will be on November 14. I start my new job November 17.
A search is underway for my replacement. This Twitter account will remain active with whoever takes over my job. Please be patient during this transition.
FROM THE CITY OF MIDDLETON:
The City’s leaf collection crews will be on the streets Saturday, November 8, in hopes of collecting more leaves prior to winter conditions. Residents are encouraged not to park on the street so that the crews may remove leaves more efficiently.
Thank you for your consideration.
The possibility of slippery driving conditions exists for the Madison area, anywhere from Sunday evening through Monday evening. As per usual with these sorts of things, Mother Nature will be unpredictable, and nobody knows where, when, or how much right now.
I will add links here as they become available to me.
CLICK HERE for a release from Wisconsin Emergency Management.
CLICK HERE for local forecast from the National Weather Service.
CLICK HERE for Winter Driving Safety Tips from the Wisconsin DOT.
CLICK HERE for current winter driving conditions throughout Wisconsin from the DOT. (you might have to check the “Winter Roads Conditions” box to the right if it isn’t already checked.)
A semi-trailer split in half on Hwy D near Hughes Rd in Green County, just south of the Dane Co line. This is in the N9200 block. They need to unload the semi before they can move it and this is going to take a long time.
Hwy D is closed near the Dane/Green Co line, and Hwy DD is closed in Dane Co at Hwy D.
No word on when these roads will re-open, but warned it will “be awhile.”
Shortly before 5pm, roads will start to close at State St. All streets that intersect State St will be CLOSED by 5pm.
E. Gorham will be detoured onto Blair St, W. Johnson St will be detoured onto Bassett St. The detours will be in place until around 2am Sunday morning.
CLICK HERE for info on Madison Metro detours.
CLICK HERE for event maps.
CLICK HERE for traffic detours.
From Madison Metro:
Multiple routes will be detouring in the Downtown and UW Campus areas throughout the weekend.
Friday, October 31
· Buses will be on the Capitol Loop Detour beginning at 6 PM.
Saturday, November 1
· Routes 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8 detour all day from the downtown area.
· Route 80 detours from State & Lake St.
· Routes 81 and 82 will be following a ‘combined special event’ route & schedule.
Sunday, November 2
· Buses will follow the Capitol Loop Detour all day.
CLICK HERE for more information on Madison Metro detours due to Freakfest.
The following roads will be CLOSED:
- Langdon Street from Lake Street to Wisconsin Avenue from 4 pm to 8:30 pm.
- The 600 block of Lake Street from 4pm until 8:30 pm.
The following streets and intersections will be blocked off with no traffic going through from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.:
- 600 block of Wisconsin Avenue
- 500 and 600 blocks of North Carroll and North Henry Streets
- 10, 100 and 200 blocks of West Gilman Street
- 600 and 700 blocks of State Street
- 500 and 600 blocks of Lake Street
- Langdon Street between Lake Street and Wisconsin Avenue
CLICK HERE for more information
CLICK HERE for information on Madison Metro bus detours (routes 4, 6, 29)
CLICK HERE for information on Madison Metro bus detours (routes 80,81,82)
The WB Beltline on/off ramps from/to Rimrock Rd will be CLOSED tonight 8pm-6am.
Work between Todd Dr and I-90 is scheduled to be DONE Oct 31.
It will remain closed until Sunday afternoon sometime. Crews are disassembling a giant crane from a project at 306 W. Main St.
It will be closed between Henry St and Washington Place.
Pedestrian traffic will be allowed, and access to homes and such in the area will be maintained.